Welcome to the SOP Memory Book!

A major accomplishment of the Federal Writers' Project (FWP) was the collection of life histories and slave narratives. These autobiographical accounts give us a first-hand account of life during the Great Depression. Now you can help continue the work of the FWP and share your family stories of the Great Depression in our "Soul of a People" Memory Book. Your memories may help others recall their own stories and encourage them to contribute. This is a chance to share history created by the people who lived it!

Submit memories via email or bring the print version to the library; you may also submit a photograph. Be sure to submit only your own content and be sensitive to copyright law. Memories will be posted online and printed out and displayed at our first and third events. (Please note: The memories will be reviewed prior to being posted; we reserve the right to make edits or reject posts.)

Feel free to contact us with any questions or for more information. Also be sure to visit our "Soul of a People" website for information about upcoming events!


Memories from Ann Penfield, former MxCC Library Director

My father lost his hardware store early in the Depression and my parents moved to my grandmother's summer boarding house in Hadlyme. As a small child I enjoyed playing with the farm animals (I had a pet lamb) and the attention I got from the summer guests. But my parents struggled mightily to make the summer business pay and to survive the lean off-season. My father joined with others to cut wood for fuel and learned to do all the repairs needed in our 1790 farmhouse. My mother tended a garden, fed chickens, and sometimes milked the cows, in addition to cooking for guests. Every fall I noticed that men would appear at our door, offering to work in return for a meal. People tended to scorn these "tramps" but they were fine people just down on their luck. My parents suspected that hobos had left marks on the telephone pole across from the house to show that this house would feed the wanderers. I remember family friends from New York City who asked that we save newspapers and old paper bags for them. I learned later that they used the papers and bags to replace the worn-out soles of their shoes, since they couldn't afford to have their shoes repaired. I remember "helping" my mother (not that a 4 or 5-year old was much help)churn butter, make soup, and feed chickens. I remember watching my father catching and beheading chickens. I'm sure it was the chickens, eggs, and milk from our cow that kept us from starving. I do not remember ever being hungry, but I suspect that my parents often had very little on their plates. My mother was an excellent cook and turned out incredible meals on our kitchen wood stove, which was the only source of heat in our huge house. People survived the Depression but it certainly aged them fast.

No comments: